This website

People

Churches

Mines

Parish

Railway

River

Schools

Contact

Home
 

The Phillips / Whitford Family

 

With thanks to Carole Maconi for the photograph and information.

 


 

N.B. From the enumerator's route for the 1861 Census, Wheal Marquis appears to be close to Morwell Barton which can be found on present day maps. It's on the Devon side of the Tamar, almost due east of Gunnislake railway station.

External Sites

Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

Online Census Project

Cornwall Family History Society

Tamar Valley A.O.N.B.

GENUKI
Cornwall / Calstock

Calstock Archive Trust


Marquis House circa 1904, formerly home to the Phillips family

James Phillips, son of Francis (b. 1805) and wife Mary (b. 1805), was born about 1826 in Mary Tavy, Devon and in July, 1848 he married Mary Ann Simmons in Stoke Damerel. His brothers were William, Francis, Thomas, Henry and George and his sisters were Lavinia, Elizabeth and Eleanor - the baby of the family

Theirs was a mining tradition and in 1850, Mary Jane's birth certificate states her father was a mine captain. Mary had twin brothers, John Henry and William Francis born in 1851 who died on the same day, November 8. Also recorded are three sisters, Eliza, Ophelia and Triphena.

Mary Jane married another copper miner, James Whitford, whose family also came from Mary Tavy but had settled in Gunnislake, March 3, 1868. James Whitford was killed in Clitters Mine on March 30, 1885 and his widow, Mary Jane moved to the United States with her children, Albert Ernest, Edith Mary, Arthur James, Rose, Alice and William.
 

 

top    

return to family / surname index