Railways - People
This colour indicates more information or an external link.
The Pre-Railway Age
Individual pack horses & teams were used to haul coal to the mines, some of the latter being owned by the Glanville family.
the first directors of the
Callington & Calstock Railway were Arthur Chandler, Thomas Vivian Gurney &
1904 - it was agreed to raise the salary of the Secretary from £250 to £500 per year.
1905 Colonel Stephens was appointed Engineer, working under the supervision of the Manager of the ECMR, Captain Sowden. The Colonel's salary was £250 p a in 1908, in which year he was appointed Manager, having to be present on the branch line for 2 days a week.
Col Stephens contract with the railway was terminated in 1910 after it had become impossible to contact him. (Although contact WAS made on many future occasions when items of rolling stock were sold to him for use on some of the other lines in which he had interests) T.H.Gibbons*** was appointed Engineer & S.G.Hartnell Traffic Manager
1907 - the Locomotive Superintendent at Callington was H. E. Kemp.
1912 - the lift man at Calstock was dispensed with as little use was being made of the hoist.
1912 - Mr Gibbons died and W.J.Foxlee was appointed Engineer
Staff shortages during the First World War caused much overtime to be worked to maintain the service & appropriate payments were made to the remaining staff.
1915 - Locomotive Foreman Stewart retired and Driver Neale took his place at a salary of 45/- per week. Assistant Driver May became Driver & Assistant Fitter. A new cleaner was engaged at 18s 6d per week.
1919 - after-war strife included a strike during which only Inspector Gibbs and Driver Neale remained at work.
1923 - The Southern Railway was created, this branch forming a part.
5 Nov 1966 - The driver of the last train from Callington was Mr. Sid Whiteway, the guard, Mr L. Hooper.
* according to the 1881 Census C. H. Reynolds, manager of the ECM Ry, lived at Lower Kelly with his Austrian wife, Ludmilla, and their son, Chas. V. Reynolds, who had been born in Budapest, Hungary.
** William Sowden, railway manager, was a Devonian by birth and lived in Calstock at the time of the 1901 Census.
*** Thos. H. Gibbons, a civil engineer, was also a Devonian by birth and in 1881 lived in Liskeard with wife, Susanna, daughter, Mary, and son, George.
1901 - Bus services linking railway stations with various localities were being run by (amongst others) the Rickard Brothers, Sidney Bond and the East Cornwall Coach Company.
Monday 2 March 1908 - the first train service ran from Bere Alston to Kelly Bray. Schoolchildren in Callington were given a half-day's holiday and, headed by the Callington Band, marched to the station. Public luncheons & teas were followed by a concert in the newly built hall at Kelly Bray.
During the period of planning and construction Mr Venning of Callington acquired something of a reputation for suggesting extensions & improvements to the branch line. It was as a result of one of his suggestions that a halt was constructed near Phoenix Brick Works allowing access to an area which had become very popular for picnics. This opened in 1910 and became known as Seven Stones Halt, remaining in use until the nearby Pleasure Gardens closed in 1917. (However, at least one member of the Callington Venning family appears to have been unsure of the safety of rail travel - - from Venning's Directory 1901)
1916 - Mr Batten took over the bus & goods delivery service at Callington.
Leaves on the track??
The reminiscences prior to the departure of the final train from Callington included that of the service which had been halted because of . . . . caterpillars on the line.
1. Kelly's Directories for
Information is being added to this website on a frequent basis. Come back again soon for more information about the railways
If you have details, photographs etc. which you would like to contribute, please use the 'Contact' link on the left.